Overweight and Obesity

What does it mean?

The body mass index (BMI) is a quick and simple measurement to see if you are a healthy weight for your height. Being overweight is considered to have a BMI of more than 25, while obesity is considered a BMI of more than 30. Overweight and obesity is a widespread issue in Australia, with 35.5% of Australian adults being overweight, 27.9% being obese, combined to make up 63.4% of the population. Being overweight or obese has been linked to an increased risk of diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), dyslipidaemia (high cholesterol), coronary artery disease, some musculoskeletal problems and some forms of cancer.

How is it commonly treated? 

The positive thing is that there are many things we can do to lose weight and reduce the risk of developing common related diseases. Exercise and diet both play a role in losing weight, as such a GP will commonly refer you to an exercise physiologist and a dietician to help guide you through the process of losing weight. It is reported that weight loss of 5-10% provides significant health benefits. Managing stress, motivation and sleep are some common lifestyle factors that will be addressed throughout your journey to better health.


How can an Exercise Physiologist help? 

An exercise physiologist can help by prescribing appropriate exercise in consideration of your current strength and cardiovascular fitness levels as well as guiding you through the process of modifying behaviours that may have a negative effect on your health. Appropriate resistance training will be beneficial to increase strength and muscle mass which can aid in weight loss as well as improving functional capacity. In addition to guiding you through the process of finding appropriate and enjoyable aerobic exercise, an exercise physiologist can also help with integrating exercise into your lifestyle as consistent and ongoing exercise will have the greatest benefits.​


How can we help you? 


1/507 Pittwater Rd Brookvale, NSW 2100     

0435 088 559

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Quick Links 




How can we help you?

© 2023 Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon